Saturday, April 26, 2008

And... we're back!

After a bit of a strain the whole of last week, I finally put my foot down and decided to do something constructive. Some of you might know that I've been writing GLSL shader support for the fantastic Torque Game Engine (TGE). The uninitiated might warrant some explanation.

I started writing a game as part of a game-development contest. I initially started writing the game engine in OpenGL. Since the contest was for a span of 1 year only, I had to drop the idea. Then I began writing the game client with OGRE and the networking code using a C++ UDP library called RakNet. Lets not make any mistake about it, OGRE is a fantastic rendering engine, but thats all it is - a rendering engine. I still had to write a slew of tools for level-creation, UI's, everything. That would have taken a whole lot of my time and it would have even ensured that my attendance in univ classes dropped to well below 30% and that my CGPA was below 6. Since that is not in my best interests, I decided to do away with writing the thing in OGRE and RakNet. It was a really, really emotional decision for me, as I was deeply in love with OGRE at the time. In fact, I still have the source-code hidden away on my home-computer.

Anyway, as they say, the show must go on. So I decided to use TGE. I had owned a license for TGE for a while, but I never got around to using it in a full-fledged project. The problem was that TGE's rendering code was so primitive compared to OGRE, that it almost brought tears to my eyes. A couple of months later, I decided that I would do whatever it takes to get my most dear features from the OGRE-based engine into TGE - normal mapping and fur-rendering.

If you scroll back a few posts, you'll still see the original post on the GLSL fur-rendered images I had posted. Well, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls and children of all ages... I have finally accomplished my task!! Here it is folks! The GLSL fur-shader in TGE - Yensai!!