The specs are out. Just found it on the Khronos' site. Don't know how I missed out on this one though - must be NRB's damned assignment :/
http://www.khronos.org/opencl/
Besides the specs, NVidia has said they'll release drivers probably by mid/end of next year. What a shame - I was hoping there would be some way of standardizing the whole CUDA thing, seems its still a while away. AMD has also said they'll have developer SDKs available soon. Hmmm...
That said, it seems like the good-old GPGPU-with-randomly-chunkery-shaders will die out. Hmph. The original methods to seriously exploit GPUs will no longer be used. People who don't know the G of graphics or linear math will be able to exploit GPUs for various applications. Thats a sign that humanity is moving forward right? Right? Tsk..Tsk...
The good part is that there is now some competition for Microsoft DX11's proposed compute shaders, and who better than the Khronos group, eh? That hopefully means OpenCL and OpenGL interoperatibility will be ensured on all fronts. Not so bad after all, I guess - GPU physics, here I come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment