Monday, August 6, 2007

The 'origins'

Well, I have received a lot of queries about why 'cowness' for a name- from both relatives and friends alike (only those lucky enough not to have had my acquaintance before ;) ...)... Anyway, I assure you that the reason behind it is well, real enough. I mean, it wasn't a name I just picked up along the way, you know... it's something that's come with me, and come a long way at that.

Well, if you'd be so kind as to pronounce my name a little slower than usual- you'd realize that the first bit resembles the name of a certain domestic animal. Yes, you got that- the good old 'cow'. This is often been the basis for a lot of names that I was called whilst back in school. 'Cow-Boy' being one, 'hasu' being another, and 'maadu' being yet another. The one that finally stuck was just 'cow'. You know, people would say-"Hi Cow! Hows life??"... soon it became even more popular... some people would say to yet others - "You know... you do act like Cow here..." This apparently grammatically incorrect phrase is perfect, when you consider that the word 'cow' in this instance is just referring to a single person, as opposed to a generic group of beings. Hence, the refrain from using 'a cow' in this case.

Those were the humble beginnings back then in school. Of course, I soon grew big enough to be sitting in a school class-room, so I was shown the door to college. Sadly though, there was only one classmate of mine to give me company in college. All the rest were dispersed, a large chunk staying back in Bangalore.

Alas, the use of that suggestive nickname would die out, for none knew of its existence. Luckily though, there was a certain professor of ours who's English language skills were nothing short of appalling... in fact, just to give you a taste of his capabilities, he'd say- "Go to the wash-basin and drown yourself" or "The frequenticity of the situation", or even "Constraints of eventualism"... just to name a few.
So a group of us, in a matter-of-factly-manner, started speaking like him. For instance, I'd add an 'ism' or 'ment' in completely arbitrary positions, like "shoeism" or even worse "eating lunchment".

As a result of this, people attributed this ability of mine to my name- they'd call me "Kaushiking" or something like that. But knowing how lazy my friends were, they soon sought a short form, and the word 'Cow' was rediscovered. Of course, using the 'ing' phrase would sound cliched... so the name was born - 'Cowness'... immortal indeed!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good one!! That was "constraints of eventuallity"...

Kutraj said...

Oh yes... Almost forgot... "Due to the constraints of eventuality"

Srikant said...

You can edit this blog to make it eventuality, can't you?

Jeny said...

I read your blog and found the effective.........
simulateur rayons-x

Jeny said...

I read your blog and found the effective.........
simulateur rayons-x