Sunday, August 5, 2007

XRay Simulator

Well, yes- the rumors are true. I have officially started work on XRaySim version 2.0. The initial version 0.99b will be packaged with documentation and stayed indefinitely.

This was a rather hard decision, and one I have been pondering over for weeks. Yet, finally I have made my stand. This is to *formally* announce the discontinuation of XRaySim version 1.00.

A number of reasons could be attributed to this decision of mine.

1) XRaySim was made using BASIC with DirectX, apart from some auxiliary C++. Firstly, I hate Microsoft, secondly, DirectX isn't really my strong point, and finally, it wouldn't really work on any other platform, would it??

2) The ray-casting module was taken from the internet. In fact, it was closed-source, and to add to my woes the original creator of the DLL apparently lost interest in improving its performance, so I'd anyway have to rewrite the ray-casting algorithm from scratch.

3) The GUI module wasn't really the best. The menus were fine, but everything apart from that was mere makeshift. If I really intended it to be professional, which I suppose it should be, I'd really have to rewrite the whole thing anyway.

4) Well, I don't know... I somehow really like OpenGL, which further tilts the balance. The whole structure is pleasing.

So, Ladies and gentlemen... its official... XRaySim is going in for a remake... I intend to maintain a developmental blog soon, so as to keep people informed of my progress...