I was just randomly browsing the internet today, when I came across this : http://www.onecore.net/turbo-c-graphics-programming.htm
Someone actually wrote a tutorial on EGA-16 color graphics programming using TurboC++! Sob... sob... those were the days - no Microsoft, no OpenGL, no DirectX, no nothing.... just pure hex-code.
That was when I was reminded of some of the old stuff I used to do back in school. I remembered Morfit, the unforgettable software-renderer that I used for our "library visualization" in class 9. Then there was the lure of hard-coded EGA graphics. I remembered the project I had undertaken in class XII - full-fedged 640x400 DOS graphics in 16 colors! "The optics tutor" was an application that was driven by a thousand lines of C and a few hundred random hex-codes. It was meant to introduce people to the concept of optics in physics. It actually featured diagrams and stuff along with a quiz that you could answer after reading the chapters.
The Optics Tutor also featured a customized GUI! Yes, 16-color GUI! Yay! Those were the days... sigh...