Prof. Dilip Veeraraghavan passed away in the early hours on the 5th of February 2009, after fighting with colon cancer for a few months. It is an extremely sad loss and his demise seems to leave a big gap that will never be filled. He is survived by his parents and his sister.
I have never seen someone who could inspire people so easily. His witty statements and his ability to analyze things methodically will remain engraved in my memory forever. I still remember his comments on a wide range of things - things that directly related to his field of study and things that would, at first sight, seem to be totally unrelated to him.
Having known Prof. Veeraraghavan for nearly two years, I cannot say I had comprehended his abilities in the least. Whether it was discussing Ganguly's inclusion in the Indian team, or arguing about the 'monkey gate' incident in the India-Australia series, every thought brings tears that are becoming increasingly hard to fight back.
I still remember his humorous rants on why Iyengars are traditionally fairer than Iyers and about why 'being a Brahmin' is not the same as 'being born a Brahmin'. He was also extremely knowledgeable on carnatic music .
One thing that will continue to haunt me is that I couldn't fulfil one of his few wishes. He had asked me for a Padam-Jhavali recording, well over a year ago. When I met him in hospital a few months ago, his keen memory pierced my own state of indifference. He asked me if I had found a copy. Ashamed, I muttered to him, saying I'd get him one very soon. The next time I met him in hospital, he was in no mood to listen to music, he said.
His condition only worsened, and a couple of days ago, I heard that his kidneys had failed and that the doctors had only given him a few days to live, atbest. I went to meet him and the sight of him totally knocked me off. He was only breathing, his eyes were out of focus and he didn't feel anything - I dont even know if he knew we were there. At that point, we all knew it was only a matter of hours. That sight still brings back shameful memories - memories that consistently remind me of my indifference and the lack of human values that seem to be deeply engrained in me.
His loss does leave a big, gaping hole in all of our hearts. I know it will take very, very long for time to heal this wound.